Discussion in 'The Hens' Nest' started by TaterTot, Jan 11, 2018.
why is that the most adorable thing. I want to do zoom show and tell with them because it’s so cute.
Just hearing their cute little voices, plus their attention spans wandering even within the minute they had to talk, plus the fact this is just an adorable age just was too much. It was fun too to see the variety of interests. One kid had a Bolt plush and was as excited about showing us the matching Bolt coloring book as the toy itself. Another had a plastic dinosaur; playing with camera perspective, he made it look like he was feeding it. Another kid had created a pretty complex Little Mermaid diorama (while I assume mom helped, it was still pretty elaborate and he was clearly involved in the process). Some kids were super proud of their toys, and some got super shy and seemed to forget what they were supposed to talk about. It was just all-around precious.
Anyone have any experience with Speech Therapy and this?
I’m 100% down for getting him evaluated but want to make sure I’m coming at this from the right angle.
Sounds like he’s just shy. C1 had speech therapy when he was younger than that and if he’s already doing all that at home he isn’t going to benefit.
@Pickles you sound very reasonable! Hopefully a ST eval could give you an all clear and the teachers could start coming at it from more of a comfort angle vs a skill angle.
He never stops talking at home. I really love his teacher but it could definitely be her coming at it from an angle of “he needs work here” instead of “how do i make him more comfortable?” Not sure how to suggest that without sounding rude.
he certainly needs to work on voicing his concerns/distaste with peers doing things to him or taking things from him. He’s a very passive child. He’s just so talkative at home I never even considered he could be behind in speech!
Re: getting a speech therapy eval. Fry was a bit of a different situation and he was younger, but due to speech delays we got him an eval at about 18 months, which led to services (speech therapy and social skills assistance), later qualifying for special ed through the local school district, etc. Granted, the older he got, the clearer it became that the delays were related to autism.
In your case, I don’t think an evaluation can hurt. You may learn the kiddo needs speech therapy, it may turn out he doesn’t need services at all and is just shy, or they uncover other issues and kiddo qualifies for early intervention services. IMO whichever outcome it ends up being will be beneficial to him. I tend to be of the belief that it’s better to err on the side of caution (especially with younger children) and go for the evaluation if something might be up.
I feel this so hard! C is SUPER chatty and has a great vocabulary. Around new people, or even people he knows but not super super well, he will go silent. Thats why we werre gonna start prek (No prek this year we’ve decided due to covid).
L has been in speech therapy for about 6 months now because he has a pretty serious speech delay. He’s definitely made big improvements since starting but still has a long way to go. It doesn’t sound like M really needs speech therapy since it seems like he’s more uncomfortable than anything else, but it wouldn’t hurt to have him evaluated just so you know for sure and don’t have to worry about it anymore.
I think it's hard to gauge from a parent perspective because kids are of course the most comfortable around you and also because parents tend to understand what kids are meaning to say without totally seeing when it's difficult for others.
My nieces and nephew were all in speech therapy as toddlers, but for different reasons. My nieces had the "twin talk" issues and my nephew had trouble with enunciation. Speech therapy was really beneficial for all of them.
I agree with Fish, I don't see the harm in at least getting him an evaluation. At worst you just wasted a bit of your time
I know it’s early, but man, if schools open in the fall I’m torn. Our plan’s to keep an eye on numbers and evaluate from there, but I still wish this were an easier decision. Fry’s regressed a lot since pulling him out of school. He’d been thriving, it seems like he was pretty popular, and he was just generally loving school. I think he’s pretty smart, but socially he’s delayed, and a lot of behaviors like scripting and robot voice have amped up. I think not sending him back will be harmful to his development, yet COVID is something we don’t want to risk catching and small children are petri dishes.
NY does appear to be one of the few states not dicking around, so I hope they come up with something sensible. At the same time, I don’t think you would be unreasonable on erring towards caution.
C1 starts K (!!) in a couple weeks. It’s all virtual, we get supplies and an iPad next week. His daycare/school is doing a “prep lab” where they will supervise kids, make sure they do meetings and work, etc.
It’s just so weird. It’s too real and not real at all. We’re super grateful we can keep bringing him to the same place. Nervous about when he goes back for real and also how do you do K virtually? K is for learning how to go to school.
Basically having kids doesn’t get easier.
We heard from Fry’s teachers about what they recommend his education plan should be for fall.
Based on his IEP they thought one-on-one special services online plus in-person school would be most beneficial to him. The class would be maximum 7 kids + teacher and 2 assistants, a couple hours 4x/week, some outdoor play, masks mandated (though good luck with keeping masks on preschoolers). The teachers are being absolute gems about letting us take our time coming to a decision, and we’re waiting to hear from Fry’s hepatologist to hear her input. Morning and afternoon preschool will be the only classes in the entire school, and a janitor will deep clean between am and pm sessions.
If we were in Florida or something, it would be an obvious nope. Our area though has a low covid rate, high test rate, and low positive test rate. Still, Fry has preexisting conditions, I’m pregnant, and even though rooster’s the lowest risk one in our family he’s still an alpha-1 carrier with lower lung resistance than most people. We also don’t know what kind of measures the 6 other families in Fry’s class would be taking.
Still, Fry thrives so much with the social interaction. I’m slightly leaning towards “keep him home for a few months then reevaluate”, but I’m by no means certain of what the better option is here.
It’s so hard. The kids at C1’s daycare are surprisingly good about keeping masks on though.
We finished his registration and picked up his iPad today. All drive through. So weird.
First day of K! He was excited to “meet” his teacher yesterday but seemed a little nervous this morning. Got him all set at daycare with his iPad and headphones though. Here’s hoping it isn’t a total disaster.