Discussion in 'The Hens' Nest' started by Apples&Oranges, Nov 1, 2017.
I don’t have advice, just solidarity and love. It’s such a tough spot.
So. Milk protein intolerance. C2 is on reflux meds now (famotadine/Pepcid), but it doesn’t seem to be helping. Already doubled his dose to the max. He just refuses to eat. Still some (shorter though) periods of just wailing like he’s dying. Sometimes he’s more willing to nurse than take a bottle, but he’s not good at it/lazy so he doesn’t fill up.
His poop has not been typical seedy anymore, but he has Gentlease in with breastmilk. Occasionally needs some prune juice since he goes once every day or two and it can look kinda thick/sticky/stringy. I don’t know if I’d call it mucous or not.
He does sneeze at least a couple times a day, but he’s still got oxygen blowing up it. Tiny bits of rash/baby acne on his chest and back of his hands.
He should be getting closer to 24oz/day and it’s been a struggle (like all day struuuuuugle) to get close to 16oz.
I don’t want to miss something that would help him because I love cheese, but also going dairy free is such a pain and takes a month to really know. I wouldn’t want to miss something else waiting to see if that worked.
Is it worth trying? If I gave him hypoallergenic formula would that show a difference sooner?/
All of these things sound like things M had as a baby. He never had seedy poop, sometimes it was kind of mucousy. He had dried skin that sometimes resulted in rashes.
Is your pediatrician wanting him to be at 24oz per day? If he’s still gaining weight at an acceptable rate with his current intake, maybe he’s getting the nutrients he needs?
They want him to gain 30-35g/day and he’s not there. He’s already fortified to the equivalent of 28kcal/oz (breastmilk being 20).
I just want to fix him, basically.
I’d maybe try the hypoallergenic formula since that’s a much easier alteration than cutting dairy. I hope it works out and he’ll find his appetite soon!
so we are STILL dealing with the milk protein intolerance. those reflux meds did not work for E and we had to bump to something more serious. She was on Nexium on a fairly high dose that we eventually tapered but it’s the only thing that helped. We also tried the hypoallergenic formula to fortify but A. Dairy was still in my breastmilk and B. That shit was so nasty she wouldn’t eat it. Going dairy free was sadly the only thing that helped and even now, we failed reintroduction.
C1 was also on Nexium for a while. Now they are super hesitant to prescribe PPI’s, especially with his history of osteopenia.
But ugh, how did you know that was the problem?
they were hesitant for us too but her intake was a huge issue at the time.
we didn’t until I tried it. Even after the elimination I wasn’t 100% sure but there was a significant decrease in the crying/screaming, eczema, gagging, choking, etc. When we tried the reintroduction it came back full force so now I’m pretty sure. It didn’t take a month to tell though, I saw improvement in about 2 weeks.
I had to cut dairy for both kids. S's showed in the form of eczema and mucousy poops but I didnt make the connection until she was ~6-7mos and yogurt made her face break out in those little contact hives. D I had to cut sooner. I was hesitant at first (bc yeah, cheese. And ice cream). His signs were that he spit up quite a bit, no seedy poops*, hard to console, also eczema, etc. The straw that broke the camels back was one day I had ice cream shortly before nursing him. He nursed and fell asleep, but then suddenly woke up SCREAMING and had a big projectile puke. It didn't take a full month to notice a difference once I stopped. It sucks to give it up, but when you see the difference and notice how much better they're feeling, it's pretty motivating.
*Note on seedy poop tho is that it's just not always seedy, especially since it sounds like he isnt even get 100% bm like you said. D's poop never turned seedy
JFC this shit is expensive!
Talked to Ped and Dietician and they said there’s no data to support nutramigen in cases like his, but there’s anecdotal evidence so if I wanted to try something that was it. Ped is super reluctant to prescribe a PPI, which I appreciate but I’m afraid that’s what he really needs.
Some good news - dietician thinks nutramigen will be covered by his secondary ins if it works so if he stays on it we won’t have to pay $50 every 8 days.
Hopefully it is and can help!
I really hope this is the solution for you, CW!